A clinical data manager is responsible for guaranteeing that statistical results and information from clinical trials are accurately recorded and reported, both during and after the study is complete. This is accomplished by carefully designing data collection tools and methodology for interrogating data.
Here, our EDC clinical trial data management expert discusses the role of a clinical trial data manager and the skills they must possess:
- To organize meetings/presentations and prepare reports about clinical trial progress.
- To offer clinical knowledge when documenting updates and amendments.
- To ensure the data collected from clinical trials is accurate.
- To assist in the review and approval of CRFs (Case Report Forms) and related databases for safely storing the information.
- To identify tracking tools, as well as review and maintain record management systems and data management documentation.
- To be responsible for the data management of specific clinical studies.
Skills you need to become a clinical data manager
Following are some skills you need to have as a data manager in a clinical trial:
- Time management
- Observational and analytical skills
- Project management
- Written and verbal communication skills
Besides the skills listed above, you should also know how to log trial data successfully. Plus, a sound understanding of GCP guidelines, clinical study lifecycle, and clinical research requirements is also important.
Ideally, you should also have some knowledge about the industry you’ll be working in, like biotechnology or pharmaceuticals.
During your interview, the recruiters will assess your ability to make decisions quickly as this is an integral part of the role. You may be asked to demonstrate if and when you have used these skills in your past roles. So, being prepared with some examples of when you used EDC (Electronic Data Capture) can help. If you haven’t used it, ensure you at least have a basic understanding of it.
Depending on the type of company you’re aiming to work for, there are a number of ways to search for data management jobs. While job websites are a great place to start, you may also find opportunities listed on LinkedIn and other professional networking sites.
Collect, explore, and report with ClinicalPURSUIT’s clinical electronic data capture software
ClinicalPURSUIT’s EDC clinical trial data management software makes data management and processing for clinical trials efficient and rapid.
Reach out to us for more information on our EDC software for clinical trials!